Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Songs in the key of July

To make things a little easier for July, we did cover songs.  That way you could focus on the recording and music rather than the writing process.  July is always a really busy month, for me at least, and this made things not only easy but fun.  There are three songs.  Below each one, I have posted the original song so you can compare and contrast.  Listen to them and vote for your favorite at the bottom of the page!


Leslie Fleming ft. MC Slappy Pack - Tainted Love
(Soft Cell Cover)
My comments: First timer, Leslie Fleming, talked to me about doing this song.  I did all the music and am featured in the song as well, while she did the main vocals.  This song is a lot of fun and has something I have wanted to do for a long time: A RAP BATTLE!  It was great to work with Leslie and hopefully for future songs she will participate!

Here is the original version of Tainted Love by Soft Cell, in case you're weird and have never heard it.


Brian Salapek - Rock and Roll McDonalds
(Wesley Willis Cover)
My comments: Wesley Willis was one of God's own prototypes.  Too weird to live and too rare to die.  But he did die several years back.  We were big "fans" in college and this is my tribute to him.  I could have just put my keyboard on the demo like he did for all of his songs, but I felt like the song would be great acoustic.  I tuned up the 12 string and here it is.

Here is the original song:

Rene Zansman - High Fives and Landlocked
(Dear Landlord Mashup)
My comments: Rene took his song in a great direction and mashed up too songs by the (great) pop punk band Dear Landlord.  Something about them being on acoustic guitar brings out a sadness in the melody I hadn't heard in the original, it's pretty interesting.  It feels like Rene was the most comfortable with this song out of all of them.  I think he did a great job.

Here are the two original songs:

Vote for your favorite song!


Also, don't forget about the August song!  Break out that bass and let's hear some funky ass DISCO!

No comments:

Post a Comment