Tuesday, December 2, 2014

November's Tribal Songs!

I don't really remember what struck me to make me want to make a tribal/African/Aboriginal type song.  I hadn't been listening to any music like that before making the decision.  I can remember one time about 10 years ago trying to play a didgeridoo around a campfire.  I couldn't get it to make ANY noise, let alone the right noise.  Everyone else thought it was pretty hilarious.  Maybe subconsciously I wanted to prove myself in the didgeridoo department.  Because right after making the genre decision, I said to myself "I'm making a goddamn didgeridoo."  I did, too.

Anyways, a month later we have our songs.  I hope you take the time to enjoy each of them and vote for your favorite below.

Danny Imig - Cherokee Removal
My comments: Very much with the tribal definition, Danny focused on more of a native American sound in this song.  The results are soothing pipes over a windswept prairie.  You can hear light wind chime-like sounds and the sparse drum is a great touch in minimalism.  My only constructive criticism is that the pipes have too much of a keyboard/artificial sound.  Obviously with all these crazy genres, I expect synthesized instruments, so this is very minor.

Brian Salapek - Tribal Chaos
My comments: I TOLD YOU I WAS GOING TO MAKE A DIDGERIDOO!  Believe it or not, I even shaved my beard of ~6 years to be able to play the damn thing.  Anyways!  I got this little guitar riff in my head and thought it was a little African/Paul Simon-y sounding and just went from there.  In the end, it just kept getting bigger and bigger and thus the name, chaotic.  After the Gangsta Rap song where all the instruments were digital and recorded on a drum machine, I thought it was important to have this song be 100% acoustic, which it is!

Rene Zansman - Everyday is a God Damn Mess
My comments:  The moment that Rene hit his first chord in this song, I knew exactly what it was going to be, an acoustic pop punk song.  That isn't a bad thing, it's what he does well.  All in all for the song, I enjoy it a lot.  A few times in the background you can hear this cool drum/chant thing that almost sounds like a skipping sample from an old TV show.  It kinda reminds me of Panda Bear and some of his sampling from Person Pitch.  I wish this was in the foreground and the focus of the song to give it a little more of a tribal feel though.

Vote for your favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment