Wednesday, July 1, 2015

June's "Front Porch, West Virginia" Songs!

June came and went and we've acquired some song that represent a whole slew of "Font Porches" in West Virginia.  Thank you to everyone who took the time to write a song.  I hope you enjoy them!  Listen to them all and vote for your favorite below!

Ryan Kinal and Family - Same Old
My comments:  This is Ryan's first submission to the song writing game and I really enjoy it!  The song has a great bluegrass-y feel to it, and I love that it is a video of the song being played live.  But what I love most are Ryan's vocals.  They just shine through so well in the song, I love it.  He had help from his parents to record the song, even adding more to the theme of "front porch" music.

Brian Salapek - Tuesday Morning, 5:32 AM
My comments:  Awhile back, Danny said he was working with "first takes only" and I decided to go with that approach as well.  That way, it was more of a "live-recorded" song, which I thought was important for the theme.  It may be a little repetitious, but I left it simple so the birds and the rain that morning could take the spotlight.

Danny Imig - Hot Tub Terrorist
My comments:  Danny's front porch is that of some hippies tripping on LSD.  This song is more about ambiance than anything, it seems.  There is a fountain flowing constantly, complimented by some wind chimes from hell.  The banjo playing feels almost Indian which makes me ask, is that a banjo or a sitar without many strings?  Very trippy and very cool.

Rene Zansman - Front Porch, West Virginia
My comments:  Rene's song is a super-happy-sing-a-long style song.  The verse has an almost-reggae feel to it, and the chorus kicks in and that's where Rene always shines (the second chorus is particularly fantastic).  I love the hand claps, tambourine, and layered vocals, those elements give it the front porch sing-a-long aspect that really brings it home. 

Vote for your favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment