Friday, January 16, 2015

2014 Song of the Year Voting!

Every year I sit down and re-listen to all the songs from the year and pick out my five favorites to go on to the Song of the Year voting!  They didn't have to win the month they were turned in to advance.  A lot of the time, my favorite song doesn't win.  No problem, they get their chance again here!  So here you are, the five songs that I deemed with my seal of approval.  Have a listen and vote on your favorite.  The voting is only for one week, rather than the normal two.

Danny Imig - Same Old Pain (From January)
My comments:  For the first month of 2014, we did New Wave songs with an optional subject of Bugs.  Yes, Bugs.  Danny turned in this gem that was actually recorded back in the 1980's while New Wave was at it's height.  I really think this is a cool song and reminds me of something from The Cars.  It didn't win best song of the month, but it was my favorite.

Kayce Kelly, Brian Salapek and Trever Wilkins - Farmer Brown (From April)
My comments:  Kayce and I were talking about recording a song together for December, 2013 and it never happened.  What did happen was Kayce writing these lyrics and me writing the guitar portion to the song.  April featured Bluegrass songs with the subject "unintentional effects of alcohol."  We spent some time and got the song finally recorded and I was very happy with the result!

Eric Peabody - Crack Feet (From October)
My comments:  Oh God, I don't want to watch this video any more.  As I said before, I didn't know Crack Feet were a real thing.  And now I will never forget.  Never.  Forget...  Thank you, Eric.  Don't let that distract you from the song, which is actually very good.

Brian Salapek and Aimee Loree - I've Got Good Credit (From October)
My comments: I just loved the Gangsta Rap songs from September/October so much that two of them made it to the Song of the Year voting.  Aimee invited my wife and I to a party which had a subtitle of "Rap Battle."  She actually did write a rap and performed it, so I did my old Stumblin' Nate rap as well and we decided that we needed to write a rap song together.  This was the result!

Rene Zansman - Moptop Christmas (From December)
My comments: Rene's long running Moptop series of songs has it's latest installment with the Christmas song (episode?) and it's by far my favorite.  It has a bit of a mellow, somber and a little sad key to it, which really works for me.  I have always enjoyed Rene's songs and there have been some great ones this year (Thunder Across the Planet) but this is my favorite one!

Voting will run until January 23rd at midnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment